- Action-packed, high energy instructional power skating program geared to hockey and ringette skaters
- Focused on balance, power, agility, speed and endurance
- Groupings are based upon skill levels
- Pre-CanPowerSkate: Developing basic skating skills (CanSkate Stage 4 entry)
- Levels 1 to 3: Developing and improving fundamentals of skating;
- Levels 4 to 6: Acquisition of efficient technique, speed, agility, technical aspects of stride and acceleration and skating with the puck/ring.
No sticks or pucks
The program develops basic skating skills in a power skating-specific environment, including balance, forward and backward skating, stopping, turning and agility.
CanPowerSkate - Full Gear
Emphasized skills are:
- Level 1 – Forward and Backward skating, Forward and Backward stopping and tight turns.
- Level 2 – Forward and Backward crossovers, quick starts and Backward to Forward 180 pivot turns
- Level 3 – Fast forward crossover starts, Forward to backward 180 pivot turns, reverse pivot turns, and 1 foot back stops with a quick start.
- Level 4 – Knee spin-o-rama, Forward side stop/start 1ft, circle work (agility), 360 tight glide turns, reverse 360 pivot turns, forward crossover-quick change of direction.
As well as the individual skills, all levels focus on developing balance, power and endurance. All levels conclude with a test designed to evaluate skills while performing a timed course.
CanSkate Program Administrator: Lee Boyd